Re: Fuel problems

To: Pugsracer@aol.com, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel problems
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 16:43:39 -0400
At 11:53 AM 8/13/97 -0400, you wrote:

>John i read your reply to joe and was wondering what you meant by filter by
>the pick up. is this in the tank? if it is how do you  check it. Pugs

Pugs,

   Yes, it's in the tank.  The fuel pick up tube has a filter screen on it,
that is about 1" or so in dia. and a couple of inches long.  I think it
is there to try and keep junk (ie rust) from getting into the lines and
clogging them.

   The only way I know of to check it is to pull the sending unit out of
the tank.  To do this, you will have to drop the tank.  You'll have to
pull the main fuel line and vapor return line's flex hose off the tank and
there is a ground wire that goes from the tank to the chassis.  Then there
are 2 nuts, one on each of the "J" bolts that hold the back of the gas tank
straps up.  I put a jack under the tank and then loosen these nuts, once
the straps are free, the tank can be lowered and slid out from under the
car.  (You'll have to have the car in the air on jack stands of course.)

   To remove the sending unit, there is a "slip ring" that is sort of wavy
and catches on 3 or 4 ears.  Carefully rotate the ring untill it disengages
from the seat on the tank.  Then the sending unit can be pulled out and
checked.

  If you are going to go to this much trouble and haven't had you gas tank
cleaned and coated, it might be worth thinking about at this time.  I sent
mine out to a radiator shop to have it boiled and lined with some sort of
rubber gunk.  Hopefully, this will keep the tank from rusting out.

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire