Re: Gas problems

To: "Fedeli, Joe" <paa5072@exmail.dpsc.dla.mil>
Subject: Re: Gas problems
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 17:11:37 -0400
At 02:45 PM 8/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>John,
>
>Thanks for the insights.  Would dirt cause the gauge to not work or is
>this probably a function of the sending unit?  Is there a separate unit
>for the "float" that measures the gas in the tank or is this part of the
>sending unit?

Joe,

The way most sending units work is there is a small compartment on top
of the sending unit that houses a variable resistor.  The wiper are that
runs along the resistor goes to a pin (flucrum).  On the other side of the
sending unit, there is a long arm that the float is attached to.  As  the
gas in the tank raises and falls, the float, moves up and down causing the
wiper arm to move from one end of the resistor to the other.

Problems:
  1. The float can collect junk and get too heavy to float, or it can get
     a hole in it and not float.   Sometimes these can be fixed by cleaning
     the float and or patching the hole with epoxy.

  2. The bare wire on the resistor or the wiper arm gets oxidized and so
     it can't pick up the voltage.  The cover over the resistor is usually
     held inplace by 4 to 6 screws.  Remove the cover and spray some TV
     tuner cleaner on the resistor and wiper and move the float up and
     down to clean the oxidation off.

  3. The wire in the resistor breaks.  You're Sh$% out of luck!!  If you
     are really into pain, you could try and find some resistive wire and
     rewind the resistor and the scrap (sand) off the insulating coating
     to allow the wiper to pick up the voltage.

>I'm probably just going to have the sending unit replaced
>to be on the safe side!

In the long run, as long as they are available, that is probably the best
bet.

>Thanks again for the information...the Bricklin will be running again
>shortly!

I wish I could say that.  I've never driven my car, and I've had it going
on 10 years!!!!

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire