Re: Towing questions

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Towing questions
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:07:29 EDT
In a message dated 8/15/2005 7:38:31 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
MWood24020@aol.com writes:

Any  other things to keep in mind?

Yeah, if you have a spoiler on the rear of the car, it could conceivably
reduce the tongue weight to the point where the trailer starts to go into a
"tank slapper."  I towed my Civic to Topeka and back, no problem.   towed the
Firebird all over Northern CA, no problem.  TO Topeka, at speeds  up to 80 or
so,
no problem.  Coming home, 2 tank slappers at 75 and 70  respectively.  Forgot
that with the headwind coming home, it might have  been 90 mph airspeed.  I'm
pretty sure the tank slappers were caused by the  8" rear spoiler pushing the
rear of the car and trailer down hard enough to  unload the tongue weight.  I
made the spoiler detachable after that.

Charlie