Re: Towing questions/answers

To: MWood24020@aol.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Towing questions/answers
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:40:51 EDT
In a message dated 8/15/2005 7:34:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
MWood24020@aol.com writes:

So,  here's the deal: #1500 tandem trailer and #3200 car + odds and  ends in
the forward box = little less than #5000 gross trailer  weight. I'm  pulling
with an '02 Suburban 1/2 ton.
The factory hitch is rated at  #600 tongue weight and #5000 gross  trailer
weight.

If I  position the car correctly and have tongue weight in the #250-350
range
(using 5 to 10% gross trailer weight as tongue  weight) , should I be  OK ?
The trailer has a moveable  front tire bar, so once I set it,  the weight
distribution will be the same each  time I pull the car on  the trailer. OR,
would I
be much better off  getting a weight  distributing hitch?

Any other things to keep in  mind?

Mike, I made almost your exact tow in 2002. A late Camaro on an open  trailer
with a 2002 Avalanche 1500 from San Jose, CA  to Topeka and back.  As you
pointed out, the important thing is to get the tongue weight correct.  (closer
10% than 5%) I have since switched to a box trailer and a
weight-distributing hitch. Necessary for the Box, not too important for the
open, lighter
trailer. I added an extra Transmission cooler. Of course, my  Avalanche was
about
new then. You should get the brakes checked to make sure you  have good linings
left. (I don't know how many miles you have on them. I assume  you have good
electric trailer brakes. Absolutely necessary! The factory hitch  is fine. Is
your Suburban a 2WD or 4WD? It matters because the 2WD had load  carrying rear
shocks. My Avalanche didn't (4WD didn't use them) But I have since  added
them. They are Sachs built units with all internal controls to pump  themselves
up to carry the extra weight. The Z66 Avalanche 2WD w/option used  them, as did
most of the 2WD Suburbans. If you don't have them the load will  drop the
rear of your truck. Watch out for headlight alignment! There are  special gages
made to check tongue weight.

 I found out one issue within California. With my 4.10 gears, the  truck
didn't want to upshift into high until about 63 MPH. Running with the  trucks
at
about 60-62, it sometimes would run in third. That kills gas mileage.  Out of
California, I ran 65-70 at times, depending on the wind - crosswinds are  worse
than headwinds! There are a few grades out of Salt Lake City and into
Wyoming on 80 that are killers. The tow haul modes changes all of the
shiftpoints
and I usually ran with it on. At a few points outside of Denver  heading east I
tried a bit faster speeds. At about 85 or so, the hood on the  Camaro (as
viewed in the rear view mirror), came about 5 inches up from the  cowl. I was
afraid of sending it off into the Colorado fields and slowed down.  The cross
winds along there are legend! Have a good trip! Keep both hands  on the wheel!

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer@aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette