Re: Towing questions

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: Towing questions
From: Kevin Stevens <autox@pursued-with.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:58:18 -0700
On Aug 15, 2005, at 19:33, MWood24020@aol.com wrote:

> I'm going to be towing my Z06 on a tandem trailer half way across the
> country in about a month and I've never towed anything bigger than
> a formula  ford,
> for any distance.
>
> So, here's the deal: #1500 tandem trailer and #3200 car + odds and
> ends in
> the forward box = little less than #5000 gross trailer  weight. I'm
> pulling
> with an '02 Suburban 1/2 ton.
> The factory hitch is rated at #600 tongue weight and #5000 gross
> trailer
> weight.
>
> If I position the car correctly and have tongue weight in the
> #250-350  range
> (using 5 to 10% gross trailer weight as tongue  weight) , should I
> be OK ?
> The trailer has a moveable  front tire bar, so once I set it, the
> weight
> distribution will be the same each  time I pull the car on the
> trailer. OR, would I
> be much better off  getting a weight distributing hitch?

You'd always be better off with a weight distributing hitch.  That
said, Putnam makes an awesome factory replacement hitch for that
vehicle that is rated at some ridiculous figure (I seem to recall 9K
direct and 15K weight distributing), for around $125.  I had one on
my '01 Tahoe for use as a recovery point in offroad use.  Highly
recommended.

Other issue is that you have the 4L60E transmission, which is the
weak link in that drivetrain.  If you don't have the factory tow
package, you'll probably want to look at a transmission cooler, temp
gauge, or both.

KeS