Re: AutoX Numbers

To: <danwolford@earthlink.net>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AutoX Numbers
From: Donald R McKenna <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:23:23 -0800
Dan,

> What is the protocal for assigning numbers - yesterdays message indicates that
> they must be on the car when going through tech, but for a 1st timer (me) how
> do I get numbers assigned to the car - or is it simply my choice, even if it
> results in a duplication of someone elses numbers?

In the past,In order to have "first choice" use of a given number in each
class, you could sign up in the "permanent number" book at registration. I'm
guessing that the book is still active and will be there Sunday. And since,
technically, a permanent number assignment is only good for a season at a
time, you should be able to get your choice early. BTW, I think a specific
previous year number assignment takes priority for the new year if the
assigned participant continues to want it. If you have your number reserved
in this fashion and there's a later issue causing confusion of same numbers
in a class, if change is required, the other person will have to change.
Saves having to buy new number(s).

As you've seen, at some events, everyone isn't aware of this protocol and
duplicate numbers in a class (and that's why we, also, want to see class
designation on the car) can lead to mis-assignment of times during a run
group.

        Don