Re: Advanced Autocross Topics

To: "James Creasy" <james@thevenom.net>
Subject: Re: Advanced Autocross Topics
From: "Darren Madams" <darren@madams.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2003 23:30:46 -0000
Good topic.  I would add a couple more bad habits:

o "The car is as good as it gets".  Sometimes even when you think you've got
the setup, there might still be more to be found.  Sometimes you have to know
when to give in on a certain setup direction and try something completely
different even if it's contrary to common opinion and/or logic.

o "The car needs changing".  Sometimes you can tend to focus on fixing problems
with your driving by changing the way the car works.  At some point you'll
start getting better by just driving the damn car.  Sometimes going back to
what used to work might be a better option.

A couple of other tricks I've learnt along the years:

o To prove if you're really looking ahead or not, try arriving late and missing
the course walkthrough.  Don't even preview the course, just go out there and
drive it!

o Drive different cars.  Even drive different peoples same model cars to see
what is good and/or bad about yours.

  --Darren

p.s. Of course, with my miserable performance at Atwater, why listen me?  Oh,
because I'm # 48 of 14,283 at MazdaRevItUp :)

"James Creasy" <james@thevenom.net> wrote ..