RE: Braking performance and ABS

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Braking performance and ABS
From: Paul Stubbs <paul@sfotrading.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:53:59 -0800
Jeff's last comment is about the best I have seen on this topic, it really
depends on the car. When I was involved in touring car racing in Australia
we had our ABS disabled (and removed for weight) one of our rival teams
however kept their ABS and used it very effectively in late braking
especially while turning in. Once they had a nose up on the car they were
passing the other car was basically screwed (us in many cases). The whole
thing this is that they were then slower on  their exit but it didn't matter
because the passed car was essentially blocked.

Remember with AutoX your fastest way around is always going to be the
smoothest and best planned/executed entries and exits (usually not locking
wheels in contact with the ground). This has always been braking in a
straight line and powering through. In that case I would have think unless
you are already in trouble, comming on or off ABS would be a secondary
consideration as it will only make a difference once you are below racing
speed anyway.

Paul- My 2 cents worth.