Re: Braking performance and ABS

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Braking performance and ABS
From: jeff@winchell.org
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:33:03 -0800 (PST)
> - you can brake to the traction limit of the outside wheel, which will
> cause the inside wheel to lock/enter ABS, or you can brake to the traction
> limit of the inside wheel, which will cause the car to slow down less
> rapidly. *
> * I am ignoring the rear axle for the purposes of this discussion.  My
> experience is that in any modern stock car, the brake bias is adjusted so
> far towards the front wheels that it is impossible to lock the rear wheels
> during normal maneuvering even with race tires installed.  There are ways
> to compensate for this, but its really a separate topic.

Last year, my ESP Mustang had no ABS and it sometimes locked up in the
rear, sometimes in the front. This year, I put in the ABS from a 98 Mustang
Cobra and the ABS has independent adjustments for front right and left
wheels, with the 2 rear wheels on a third adjustment channel, so I get
dynamic brake biasing for free. I wonder if ABS systems and vehicle/course
dynamics are so varied that it is nearly impossible to say much useful
about ABS generically ... that specific vehicle, driver, and course testing
is necessary.