Re: Braking performance and ABS

To: mrehrer@rehrer.com
Subject: Re: Braking performance and ABS
From: Larrybsp@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:26:00 EST
from:larrybsp@aol.com (Larry Stark)

                Mathew,
                   ABS is not the hot set up for any auto competition
driving. Once it activates the driver is disconnected from the brakes. ABS
systems used to be dangerously slow but with improved microprocessors they
are faster than before.
One note of caution ABS units do fail. I had mine fail at an autocross at the
Oakland
Colliseum and I almost took out a few dozen spectators. You learn to rely on
it and when its not there you're in trouble. Another point, there is no ABS
that cannot be bypassed. Get yourself a shop manual with the electrical
schematics. You can usually figure a way around the system. Usually all you
have to do is disconnect the electical harness to the ABS controller. It will
set the service ABS light on the dash. If your not mechanically inclined
bring it to a performance shop and they can do it. FWIW.
                                                  Larry