Re: autocross in the news, plus autocross on MTV!

To: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
Subject: Re: autocross in the news, plus autocross on MTV!
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:48:13 -0700
I caught this tip on the Evolution list.  The format of the tryouts is
apparently:

1) Drive the autocross course with a Skip Barber instructor.  If you
   hit any cones, you're out.  If the instructor decides that you're
   not totally hopeless, you pass on to the next step.  No points for
   first place.

2) Interview with the MTV producers to decide who is hip enough to be
   on the show.  One of the Evolution folks (name slips my mind, but
   somebody who is a very good autocrosser) made it to the interview,
   but could not answer "Which MTV personality would you want to be
   stranded on a desert island with?" because he didn't know any MTV
   personalities.  They pick the 5 most "interesting" contestants from
   each region, at which point I'm not sure what happens.  The end
   result is a track race with five celebrity/amateur 2-driver teams.

I'd get stuck around step 2, trying to explain why Kurt Loder is my
favorite MTV personality without admitting that he's the only one I
can remember.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94