RE: anyone have a 350Z yet?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: anyone have a 350Z yet?
From: Carl Merritt <CMerritt@luminous.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 15:50:21 -0700
Actually, even more than the Maxima I would recommend looking at a sport
suspension and manual tranny equipped Altima 3.5 (which has the
240HP/240ft-lbs version of the VQ35 motor).  Something like 0-60 in 6.1
seconds in a reasonably sized 4 door sedan for $24k, pretty amazing.

However, I must say that I do *NOT* like the VQ35 motor.  Yes, it has great
power and torque, but it is not smooth at all, sounding very raspy and
unhappy when pushed hard at higher RPMs.  The aural tone inside a 350Z being
driven aggressively isn't NEARLY as pleasing as a 300ZX or any other car
with more than 4 cylinders.  I'm not sure why this is...maybe it's noise
from the timing chain that I'm not used to?  I don't know...but regardless I
would not call the VQ35 motor "pure unadulterated joy".

-Carl