Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk
From: Andy McKee <andrewmckee@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:10:47 -0700 (PDT)
Looks like this thread has expanded a little beyond Tony's original request.
Since I'm on the Stock Advisory Committee, I see all the letters written in by
members.  I can lump pretty much all of them into three categories....

1)I like how the rules favor me right now, so please don't change them.
2)I don't think the rules favor me, please change them so they do.
3)I don't have a clue about the rules or what I'm talking about, but here's my
opinion anyway.

Now, don't take those categories too seriously, as I was being just a tad
sarcastic.  Point is, people are human and letters are biased.

With regards to any stock class rule changes, I believe that National event
participation and results heavily influence those changes, whether they be
classing of cars or amending a shock rule.  As such, any change is evaluated to
a large extent by considering the impact it will have on National events
(primarily the Championships).  At the present time, participation and
competition on the National level is at pretty much an all time high, which is
why you may get that "keep the statis quo" attitude.  I'd make an analology to
running our local events.  I would say that SFR does an excellent job of
efficiently running well attended events.  However, new ideas for change are
considered cautiously, as the path to where we are now has been a long one.  I
don't mean to say they are not considered, but more that if change happens it
needs to have strong support for its logic *and* have warm bodies who will make
it happen.  The regional vs. national mindset is somewhat similar.

If you want to change something on the National level, your credibility can
only be increased by becoming an active participant at that level (note I
didn't say it was necessary or required). At the local level, a Region can make
any class it wants to.  If you want a bone stock class (tires, shocks, wheels,
floormats, whatever), go ahead and make a local class for it.  If others like
the idea they'll run it.

Regardless of how you write rules around a class, you are always going to have
a clash between the goals of fun and competition.  No matter how restrictive
you make the rules, someone will find a way to push them to the absolute limit,
with the possible risk of irritating competitors just out to have fun.

Part of the problem with the current Stock rules is that is called "Stock"
class.  It really should be something like "Improved" to indicate that
modifications other than what is available off the showroom floor are possible.
 Assuming you could write rules that somehow kept the cost factor out of a
"True" Stock class (I wish you luck on that one), would it then be successful
from a participation standpoint on a regional as well as national level? I'm
not so sure you could keep cost out of a bone stock class. Would it bother you
if I showed up at every event with brand new, shaved to optimal tread depth OEM
tires?  If you required OEM shocks, how about if I bought 10 sets and picked
out the ones with the best dyno curves?  Ditto on springs.  If you could use
"off the shelf Konis", would it bother you that I have an "in" at Koni so that
I helped develop the valving for my car?  Too bad Koni makes an inferior shock
for your model.

>From most arguments, it seems that people would like to restrict cost.  Short
of totally revamping all stock class rules for tires, wheels, exhaust, etc. the
cost argument isn't that strong with me.  Shocks are not the biggest cost on a
single year even purchasing something like Penske's, and at the end of that
year at least the shocks have some resale value (unlike tires, gas, entry fees,
hotel bills, etc.).

I applaud efforts to write rules that promote competition and reduce cost, but
I don't think taking matters back to OEM or "off the shelf" shocks is
necessarily the right answer.  Personally, I like the way the current rules
are.  They give me enough opportunity to tune a car to some degree, yet
restrict things well short of SP.  I still drive my car to work every day, and
wouldn't want to prepare the car to a level that wouldn't be possible.

-Andy
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com