Re: I need help with understanding Tire options for F STOCK

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I need help with understanding Tire options for F STOCK
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:09:35 -0700
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 09:16:52AM -0700, Kirk Meline wrote:
> Hi John
>
> I really didn't want to get into it about Hoosiers because I don't care for
> them in autocross races.  I also drive to events on my race tires.  If what
> you say is true than why would anyone put their life on the line at a road
> race with a Hoosier tire.  Highway speeds are much lower than road race
> speeds so that just doesn't make sense.

Road and track are two different environments, and speed isn't the
only variable.  Tracks don't have potholes or nails.

Having no experience whatsoever with Hoosier tires, I'm willing to
defer to those with more experience.  Andy and one other person I've
talked to have said that they're okay to drive reasonable (or even
long) distances, but other autocrossers who run Hoosiers have warned
me otherwise.  Maybe it's superstition on the part of one group, or
maybe it's luck among the other group.  When I saw the warning on
Hoosier's web site, I recognized that it was a big legal
cover-your-butt statement.  However, the fact that it's so strongly
worded and pops up instantly when you go to look at available sizes
makes it seem as if Hoosier is anxious about lawsuits.  It's just not
very reassuring.

I've been thinking about giving Hoosiers a try, and I would like to
believe that I could drive to/from Oakland or Candlestick on them,
but very little I have heard or read has been reassuring.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94