RE: WANTED to hire: VERY fast autocrosser(s)

To: "Escano, Arnold (MP)" <aescano@guidant.com>,
Subject: RE: WANTED to hire: VERY fast autocrosser(s)
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:54:06 -0700
Arnold writes...

>>Don't remember if SCCA/NCSCCA created
>>the OSP first?  Although i know that some folks resisted the voting for the
>OSP
>>Class look at it now.

I think it was NCSCC (or whatever it's called). My dad was one of the
naysayers, while I had no opinion. The motivation behind it seemed cool to me.
But we showed up one day - I think my dad was trying to prove some point that
only HE understood (Hi Daddy!) - in the Lotus, on street tires! Hey, we totally
fit the rules, or most of them. We did not have a windshield, that day, but
what an easy fix! Nonetheless, I remember some people standing around the car,
and Jack might have been one of them, complaining about this car in their
class. That gets SOOO old sometimes.

All I remember, really, was that the Pleasanton Fairgrounds just got some fresh
slurry coat that turned to gravel, and that I learned how to drive like a dirt
tracker, just like on tv! Larry Park was announcing, and dammit, I wish I could
remember what he said exactly. I miss Larry's ability to say the meanest,
lowest wise cracks, but he could get away with it based on sheer delivery. Not
everyone possesses this talent. There's just something about a Lotus 7 on
Michelins, in dirt, with John Kelly behind its original Mack truck steering
wheel that deserves ridicule, and Larry did not miss a beat. That was our one
OSP experience. I guess trying to find the windshield would be too difficult.

Katie K.