Re: Which side to start the grid

To: "Rich Urschel" <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Which side to start the grid
From: "Anthony Tabacco" <atabacco@california.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 10:01:20 -0700
Rich,
I don't think it matters particularly. Just don't ever let the pipeline run
dry, and work the grid such that you don't have a two driver car as the last
remaining car in a group. The driver changeover is dead time. The important
thing is to make sure there is maneuvering room around and past the grid,
allowance for room to get a good alignment to the start line, all things
that should be planned as part of the site/course design. The only thing to
consider for the two driver line is that some pairs are chronically slower
than everyone else at changeover, and you should try to avoid having shared
cars ready to go but backed up behind them, so it could be advantageous to
put the two driver line next to the by-pass so you can pull cars from behind
the laggards. We have some three driver cars so I always try to get them a
spot out of the normal grid after the first run if it is possible. You can
tell by counting before the run group if you are going to have a two driver
"problem". An organized grid means you have to be there early in the staging
to make sure everyone is, (well) "lined up". Just drain the two driver line,
go to the next over, drain it (you need to note the first and last car in
each line or you have to ask all the time),and so on. Pull the single driver
lines in that order but always insert and immediately send a two driver to
the line when it is staged.

Grid is an excellent worker position and outlet for those of us whose
children ignore our daily admonitions and advice without  actually having to
resort to something where we could cause genuine harm, like air traffic
control.
Tony