RE: Kumhos for WRX

To: "'Randy Noll'" <rnoll98@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Kumhos for WRX
From: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:28:08 -0800
>You also might want to find someone who has the 225s mounted on a
>16x6.5 rim and see how much the tread bends near the sidewall. I've
>seen some wacky guys run 225 Hoosiers on a 6" wide wheel and the tread
>tends to turn to sidewall an inch or two in from the actual sidewall

Hey that's Mr. Wacky guy to you thank you very much:)

Seriously, I wouldn't worry 'bout it.  225 on a 6.5 isn't nearly as bad,
especially 225/50.  My setup is worse because the rim is 0.5 inches narrower
and the sidewall (225/45) is even shorter, making a bigger cantilever.
You'd be giving up way too much rubber going to a 205.

As for which Kumho, I've heard conflicting reports about which is better,
and also some rumors that the ECSTA compound is not yet finalized and may in
fact be very similar to the Victoracers.  I'd get the new ones though, they
are supposedly a bit lighter.

If you ever find yourself with a lot of money, a rich co-driver, or a need
for more grip, the unquestionable hot setup on that car would be the new
215/40/16 Hoosier.  You'll get much better gearing and Andy says they are
the same width as a 225.

Peter