RE: Sunday Musings

To: "'james creasy '" <Black94PGT@pacbell.net>,
Subject: RE: Sunday Musings
From: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:36:41 -0800
>the LT1 powered caprice cruisers ive seen have no LSD...

It was an option on them, but most departments (on the "lowest bid" system)
did not order it.   Locally, I think that the Mtn View PD DID get the G80
(limited slip) option.

And anyways, it's a pretty crappy clutch-based Auburn posi if you do get it.
One season of AutoX on R tires will easily kill it.   Ask me how I know :^)

Also, the cop cars tend to be on "lowest bidder" tires after a while :^).

>pretty much any good autocrosser could lose them quickly on twisty
>streets.  we discovered this at the dublin police training facility
>chasing the cop instructors in their cruisers.  it was pathetic, in a
>stock 94 probe GT i had to keep stop and waiting, then gun it and catch
>up almost instantly.

You needed better cop drivers :^).     Sometime, go up to the CHP academy in
Sacramento and see the driving exhibition at the "Cops n Rodders" Car Show
(its in mid October on a Saturday, I went last year and put my car in the
car show).    They have their "best of the best" CHP driving instructors put
on a demo on the test track at the academy.    They will do things (in the
Caprice and Camaro) that will astound you.  For instance, they had a 4 car
"train" of Caprices, doing 80-110 MPH thru straights AND curves.......with
approximately 1 FOOT between the cars!    Now THAT is some amazing car
control!

>as far as 157 MPH on a public road, i am glad i live in berkeley where
>the police arent allowed to chase ANYONE with a their car.

This chase was on rural interstates and such....and I agree, anything
remotely close to 157 MPH on ANY Bay Area public road would be beyond stupid
(not that doing 157, even on a rural interstate, would be the smartest thing
in the world to try.....).

Ed