Re: aerial photo of Cal Expo

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: aerial photo of Cal Expo
From: Alan Gruner <algruner@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:13:32 -0800 (PST)
This is funny. I went to Mapquest.com and followed the
links for aerial photos of sports stadiums.  Being a
Michigander by birth, I clicked on the "Pontiac
Silverdome" link. The picture is is indeed the
Silverdome, but what is really interesting is that it
was taken during the annual Formula SAE competition.
If you look in the south west corner of the parking
lot you can see the tents, and tire tracks for the
various driving courses related to the event.

For those of you who don't know what Formula SAE is,
it's a student design competition sponsored by the
Society of Automotive Engineers where student from all
corners of the globe build A-mod open wheel cars. In
May of each year they get together at the Pontiac
Silverdome. The student teams spend a day making
presentations to judges from the auto industry and two
days racing the cars they built.

I got involved with this when I was in grad school and
it eventually let me to start autoxing. Ian Greene,
the perennial contender to win STS and occasional
poster to this list, is the chief engineer on the
UC-Davis effort for 2002.

Alan

--- James Creasy <black94pgt@pacbell.net> wrote:
> im posting the pics from our autox sites.
>
> http://www.thevenom.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=44
>
> the 3COM site shows marks from an autocross (or
> two).  can anyone identify
> the course and the date?
>
> -james
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!