Re: Informal Poll on "sort of" pre-reg. for autox !

To: Alan Gruner <algruner@yahoo.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Informal Poll on "sort of" pre-reg. for autox !
From: Jim Ochi <jim_ochi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:06:49 -0800
At 04:08 PM 10/31/2001 -0800, Alan Gruner wrote:

>This is a complete tangent, but one of my first SFR
>events was Aquabowl 2000. A well intentioned
>registration worker suggested I be card sorter and
>stay out of the rain. At the appointed time with cars
>ready to roll I sat down next to some named Jim (Ochi)
>and woman named Katie (Kelly) and said, "Show me what
>to do." There was another complete novice trying to
>run the timer. After 15 minutes, a few reruns from
>timing problems, and numerous missing or late cards,
>Katie was ready to kill us and Jim was sorting and
>scoring. It was not pleasant and wasn't until a slush
>event that year I worked in the motorhome again.

Must be selective memory - I don't remember this at all.  I remember
working with another newbie to sort cards at one event.  Unfortunately, he
succumbed to the pressure and I had to take over the card box just to keep
the run group going.  I don't think it was you, though!  Anyways, sorry for
the bad experience...

Jim