Re: Spring Compressor?

To: "Alan Gruner" <algruner@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Spring Compressor?
From: "Ian Green" <iagreen@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:37:36 -0800
Alan,
Its not a good idea but you can change shocks on a civic without a spring
compressor. Two ways.
1.) take out the assembly. Get an air wrench lean all your wieght onto the
wrech with the shock vertical and against the ground. use the air wrench to
remove the retaining nut. It only pops a little, the springs aren't
compressed to much. This is what i always did.

2.) remove the retaining nut first. With the car on the ground remove the
nut before anything else. Then when you raise the car and remove the shock
the assembly will come apart. This was another way I've heard.

I know these ways are to safe and don't recommend them but they work. Kids
don't try this at home. Is that enough disclaimers?

Ian
STS #99