Re: Accident Reports

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Accident Reports
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:04:58 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Dennis Hale wrote:
> The details are less important than the lessons.

I think that's totally valid.

In fact, I'll offer up a few things I think can help to keep you safe when
working the course.  These things apply all the time and are unreleated to
anything I know about this past weekend at GGF.  And, since I keep
forgetting to say this, its all IMO.

#1, never ever turn your back to a moving car in your area.  Remember
you're there to _work the course_, not to pay attention to a friend or try
to figure out how to drive the course.

#2, try and always be with another worker wherever you're standing.  Two
sets of eyes are better than one.  When I used to work corners on a road
race circuit, the flagger always had someone to watch upstream who's main
job was to pull the flagger down if all hell broke loose (the flagger
watches downstream for incidents in the corner).  On an autox course the
cars are coming slow enough that you can usually follow the car through
your area before another car comes along, but the principle still applies.

#3, leave the red flag with the person with the radio.  If someone calls
for a red flag over the radio, the radio person will be the best able to
respond quickly.  That person also shouldn't be running for cones if you
can help it, so they can concentrate on their job (and so control won't
get broken-up radio reports).

#4, and this should be obvious, all distracting things get left in the
pits.  cell phones, pagers, etc.

#5, while I believe that on an autox course there's almost never a reason
to not have enough time to get a cone back in place if you're paying
attention, DON'T PUSH IT!  That cone being outta place is not the end of
the world.  You getting hit _is_.  We've all had folks that came through
and destroyed half the course.  Do what you can, then get the heck outta
the way.

#6, RUN to put the cone(s) back.  If you can't run, ask for another work
assignment, work the radio/flag, etc.

#7, after you put the cone back, DON'T turn your back to the approaching
car.  Look over your shoulder for cars coming before you grab for the
cone, again before you put it back in the box, again after its in the box,
and again on your way back to home.  DO NOT depend on your ears.  If, as
normally happens, a car comes before you can get back home, turn around
and jog backwards ready to take evasive action.

#8, assume that the drivers can't see you.  In many cases its 100% true.
Their attention is focused on what they're planning on doing.  Unless
you're in their sight path (and you've got no idea what that sight path
is), you're invisible.  In fact, if you _are_ in their sight path, chances
are you should move so that they can see the course :-)

That's all I can think of right now.  Anyone else?

We used to have a "corner workers handbook" back when I did the roadrace
stuff.  Maybe something similar for autox course working would be a good
idea?

Mark