RE: Nationals Course--not!

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Nationals Course--not!
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 12:30:39 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, John Kelly wrote:
> We are in agreement. The solution achieved long ago was to mark our courses
> here in the San Francisco area on both sides with gypsum (or white powder
> of some kind) and thus nobody gets lost at speed. Our friends elsewhere
> continued to utilize gate-style courses with no markings. This latter type
> of course has two results,

Hey, seems like some sorta intrastate rivalry, but just for those folks
that don't leave SF... Every national event I've been to has had a lined
course, including nationals this year.  I find national level course
_easier_ to follow because its relatively easy to pick out the key
features as there aren't a ton of unimportant cones all over the damn
place.

They also use pointer cones.  Personally, I think pointer cones are more
important for not getting lost than a lined course.  Lines disapear in the
rain #1.  #2, if you're running the course based on the white lines,
chances are you're screwing it up.  #3, white lines are hard to see at
speed.

>         1) beginners who get lost do not return;
>         2) The club loses income;
>         3) People who can figure out an unmarked course gain a false sense
> of security because they are beating people who got lost.

Wow.  You much have some real whimps out here. :-)

> I drove the National North course entirely in second gear and found it to
> be greatly similar to the course we'd driven at Albany just before. Pat
> drove the South course, also entirely in second gear. Thus I think the
> speed levels this year were not much different than what we face at home.
> That hasn't always been true and there has been a backlash against the
> so-called "speed creep."

FWIW, I was using 3rd gear on the South course in a cp mustang with a
stock t5 and 3.73's.  Last year on Frank's "way too fast" south course, I
never got outta 2nd gear (stock t5, 3:55's).  They were comparably fast
IMHO.

Just because I'm like this, I'd like to see what people would say if
Nationals ran Frank's course from the past weekend's AAS event.  Rev
limiter in 3rd in a street tire miata :-)  (6 speed, roughly 75mph)  Oh,
and before anyone starts whining, it was safe and AAS isn't affiliated
with the SCCA.

Mark