Re: Nationals Course--not!

To: Vernon Head <vhead@radar.com>, ba-autox <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals Course--not!
From: Lolita and Mike <lomike@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 21:43:42 -0700
on 10/2/01 9:28 AM, Vernon Head at vhead@radar.com wrote:

> I want to thank Jeremy and Barry for being my co-chairs on Sunday. Also
> Brian Nemy for doing the equivalent work of a co-chair. He drove the motor
> home both ways and it seemed like he ran the grid the entire day. Also,
> thanks Ben for running the timing when we didn't have experienced people to
> do it. Also, thanks to everyone for helping pack up at the end of the day.
>
> When I say it was the South Course at Nationals, what I meant was that it
> was as close as I could get. The really tight turn right before the finish
> was not part of the real thing. Without it, we would have had quite a long
> run to the finish. At Topeka the lot was more of a square, so the straight
> at the finish was much shorter. Many people didn't like the gates along the
> back, but that was one of the few sections that I was able to copy!
> Nationals courses often have some misleading sections and this one was a
> good example. It was my goal to bring some of the flavor of the course
> design back to SF. I welcome any comments about the course, and this general
> idea of copying Nationals courses.
>
> Thanks to everyone for your help.
>
> -Vernon Head
Vernon, I loved the course! I found out several new things about driving my
car in that tight little turn. I, for one, enjoy the challenge of courses
that require more coordination and manipulation of the vehicle. Far superior
to "put it in second and steer".
Those who complain are free to submit their own designs for consideration.
kudos
MJ