Re: Stuff I Learned at the Evolution School

To: joboyle@hpux.students.engr.scu.edu
Subject: Re: Stuff I Learned at the Evolution School
From: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:07:19 -0700
In message <008701c0f306$fbc94980$9e02640a@netswitch.com>"Sean O'Boyle" writes
>I learned:
>- That looking ahead is faster (than not looking ahead)
>- That all of the good drivers (read instructors) left foot brake
>- That some section of the course will be a 'give up' part (give up to take
>  advantage of, or setup for, some other section)
>- That smoothness pays off
>- That too much aggression kills cones

Yah, I found the Evolution School to be the perfect follow-on to
the NASA and SCCA autocross schools.  Too bad I had to wait three
years to finally take it!

It was really wonderful to be out there on a more complex course,
with lots of seat time and some very insightful instructors.  I'd
had lots of damn good drivers tell me about unwinding and slowly
squeezing on the throttle, but the tight little 270 carrousel on
the Evolution course really brought that home!  It was suddenly
far clearer than it had been before (and I'd been trying to do that
for the last year or so).

I certainly encourage folks who've been through the local schools
(and a season of autocrossing) to think about taking the next step
with the Evolution School.  And I'd further encourage one of the
local clubs to bring the school to the bay area -- AAS ran three
courses a day for two days and I suspect that they still had lots
of people on their waiting list.

Kevin
kml@patheticgeek.net