Re: x11/nationals archive results

To: James Creasy <black94pgt@pacbell.net>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: x11/nationals archive results
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 08:24:56 -0700
James wrote:

>hi all,
>
>my father, after autoxing for the first time with me at this year's round 3
>(the tempest bowl), went to his second autox last weekend in the Glen region
>season opener driving his 1982 citation X11.  now i have talked him into
>getting kumhos for it. :)
>
>i thought i read somewhere that this car won g-stock in the early eighties,
>but cant find it now. anyone have a link?

I can't speak for that, but in '91 Mal Kooiman won H Stock in a 70s Cosworth
Vega, which in its day got a lot more attention than the X11 did, later.
Sorta close but, look in the rule book, some Pontiacs, probably with similar
chassis, show up in the 80s in G and H Stock.

>its kind of a cool car as it came with 7" wide wheels, which in 1982 was
>crazy wide, a cowl hood, and no 'citation' badging =)

In '82 cars were still so anemic, the X11 really was an improvement. And a
whole 125 HP V6 in place of the 4-banger, sometimes know as the "Iron Duke"
(in Pontiacs).

That chassis was more famous for its "bad" back brakes. Actually, I think
the braking problem was that the front disk pads (early disk application for
economy GM cars) were prone to fading and in some panic stop situations the
rears still worked, would begin to lock , putting the un-informed (about car
control) driver into a spin, leading to guess what, all kinds of crazy
crashes. Saw this happen, going down the freeway one day, but the guy didn't
hit or get hit by anybody.

The fix for the "back" brakes was to put on metalic pads to clamp the
undersized front rotors.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it --- until someone corrects me with
the "real" story.

        Don