Re: Turnouts

To: <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Subject: Re: Turnouts
From: "Boris Elpiner" <boriselp@altavista.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:30:27 -0700
Pat wrote:

> Remember, turnout for the whole season was basically y'all come. It has
> only been in the last 3 events (I think) that the membership requirement
> has been in force, and I suspect some non-members ran there, too.

Here are the numbers for the last 3 events:
run all 3 events   - 78
run  2 out of 3    - 81
run 1 out of 3    - 248

I don't think membership requirment did much for limiting turnouts.

> I think we need to watch the Slush Series and see how frequently anyone
> runs more than one...it will most likely improve. Most of those who ran
> only one event I would bet were non-members.

Agree. But numbers don't support that.  OTH many SFR regulars (myself
included) preferred to run in Sacto this year rather than deal with huge
turnouts and less desirable sites/surface at SFR events.  That might change
if SFR events will be back to "normal" and GGF site gets cleaned up.

> As for prepaying for a number of events, will you accept MC or VISA?
> Some of us are not flush with amounts of $$ in our checkbooks, and
> paying for two drivers for six events comes to, ummm, $300, just when
> we're trying to pay off Christmas.

Yes, it's a valid concern and a good idea. I wonder if we can use the region
to process payments. I think they accept credit cards for membership,
merchandize etc.  Of course they don't get to keep our money. :-)

> I guess someone would monitor the prereg on the web site? Who did you
> have in mind? And that person would have to have a current paid up list
> for each and every event, 8:00 a.m. sharp...
> Remember, we're all volunteers.

If we make it a work assignment, that would be a very nice job for one of
our Web savvy members. If I weren't so busy, I'd sign up for it myself. The
list can be emailed/faxed to the registration chief or event chair the night
before the event.  I don't see much of a problem with it.

Boris.