RE: Turnouts

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Turnouts
From: "Boris Elpiner" <boriselp@altavista.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:51:16 -0700
>From all this good discussion it's pretty clear to me that we have to
continue to limit participation. I did a quick Excel data analysis on the
2000 Series Points table and it confirmed that most of us already know: the
real problem is with an occasional autocrossers that show up only ones or
twice.

Total number of names on the list:      1092
entering 7 or more events: 92
entering 4-6 events:          111
entering 2-3 events:          196
entering 1 event:               623

If we have to impose limits, we should concentrate on that group of casual
competitors. Even though I like many points in Jerry's proposal for two
series, I don't think it would work because it will be very difficult to
find experienced people willing to run Rookie series. Here is a variation on
Jerry's proposal that should allow us to keep one series and to allow new
people to try the sport:

1. Set maximum number of entries ( I'd say 200, but I don't want to
sidetrack the discussion)
2. Set a minimum of 6-7 events to participate in the regular SFR
championship series and 3-4 for the Slush
3. The championship participation cards can be purchased prior to the
beginning of the season. How about we start at the banquette? NO REFUNDS.
4. We'll stop selling cards when we'll reach maximum or 50% of the series is
completed.
5. After the initial entries are used up, participants can purchase
individual entries, but they are assured the spot.
6. We'll need to reserve 30-50 spots for occasional participants, guests
from other regions etc, but I'll be surprised if we'll sell more than
120 -140 cards. That should leave plenty of spots for "occasionals".
7. The available spots can be made available to the public via Web
preregestration (per event) and/or at the event. There always will be some
souls that will just show up, and some of them may have to go home without
having to drive.

I can see some other benefits such as simplified registration,  preassigned
numbers, preprinted time cards, annual tech for regulars etc. There are few
other minor details, exceptions etc that can be worked out separately, but
in the nutshell this is it. We can try this approach for the Slush Series
with 3 events minimum.

Boris.