RE: Round 14

To: "Grantz, Sherry" <Sherry.Grantz@Aspect.com>,
Subject: RE: Round 14
From: Jim Ochi <jochi@liquidaudio.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:06:00 -0700
At 09:40 AM 8/30/00 -0700, Grantz, Sherry wrote:

>Registration at this event was an absolute zoo. We don't have the staff or
>time to register 250 people and initiate a couple dozen people to SCCA
>(explain how the event works, figure out what class their car is in and when
>they run) at every event.

A few years ago, when I ran my first SFR event, there were "Rookie Mentors"
who were available to take care of the initiation rites for SCCA.  Darren
Madams was mine, and he did a remarkable job in getting me through my first
event with all fingers and toes intact, and even made it fun enough that I
came back.  In fact, the web site still says that if you tell the folks at
registration that you're a Newbie, they'll introduce you to a Rookie
Mentor.  Seems to me that we should be able to take a load off the
registration people, and start working on the problem of untrained workers
if we started up this program again.

I know, Sherry's going to say that this needs volunteers to make it work
(and probably try to get me to volunteer). :-)  However, it's the perfect
job for anyone who wants to get involved, but doesn't feel like they have
the experience to chair an event, or run the trailer, or ???.  This is a
great opportunity for those who are already running in the Rookie classes -
all you really need is a few events worth of experience and be friendly
enough to help out Newbies.  Any volunteers?

Jim Ochi
jochi@liquidaudio.com