Re: SFR First Time Nationals entrants -- SFR will refund yourentrancefee

To: Eric <red95svt@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: SFR First Time Nationals entrants -- SFR will refund yourentrancefee
From: Jesus Villarreal <jesvilla@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:19:02 -0700
Eric wrote:

> All,
>
> Sorry, but I just started paying attention to this thread as I am
> thinking about going next year, so forgive me if this was already
> discussed.
>
> Has SFR ever considered hiring/renting some form of big-rig/tractor
> trailer to take a bunch of cars at once, and perhaps save some dough?
> If so, what was the cost of this?  Are there any obvious hang ups?
> Trust being one of them....
>
> Once again, sorry if this was already discussed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric O'Brien

> http://mail.yahoo.com/

This has been discussed many times over the past 20 years I've been
going to Nationals. The biggest stumbling block is usually what does the
driver of the tow rig get for waiting around for 9 or 10 days while
we're competing. Unless he is there for the same reason we are then
we'll need to pay him for those days, which takes the cost way up.
Scotty B White has done this for a number of years now, and he is very
reasonable in this respect, because he is there to compete also.
reasonable cost for him to take your car, and some tools and spares back
to Topeka is $800.00 to $1200.00, depending on a few variables. Now you
still have to get there yourself, so tack on another $400.00 to $700.00
for airline tickets, or bum a ride with someone who has an extra seat
and pay for some gas. I've gone to Topeka myself on $1300.00, which
included, gas, hotels, food. Now if I tack on the cost to take time off,
it gets way up there, good thing for me is I give myself plenty of
vacation time, but I still have to hire someone to take my place. I'm
not taking into account the new tires I get, or any other extras which
eventually get used during the next year. Hope I didn't scare any
rookies, but you must face the facts and be prepared to spend some of
your hard earned cash.

Jesus