RE: Helmet

To: "'Alberto Fonseca'" <alberto@TotallyGames.com>,
Subject: RE: Helmet
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:07:20 -0700
I use a closed face helmet because, in my opinion, it looks "cool." I can
see no other reason to use a closed face helmet, unless you're going
roadracing. I have a feeling I chew on my lips or make weird grimaces when
autocrossing, so I'd rather just hide these unslightly facial expressions. I
pine for the day I get that upclose shot in the pits, a la Mario Andretti,
before the start of some race. Surely, you know what I mean. The thoughtful,
deep eyes staring off into the distant reaches in anticipation of the race
yet to come. THAT'S pretty much the only reason I can see to wear a closed
face helmet.

In a McKamey School, Jean Kinser, chief instructor, told us that she prefers
the closed face helmet because the lack of peripheral vision forces her to
physically turn her head, which in turn forces her to *look* ahead. She gave
us stats to prove this is true. I was impressed that she could tell us this
with a straight face.

I, on the other hand, borrowed an open faced helmet at an event in San
Diego, and I felt completely spoiled by the view that I had. So, now I'm
thinking the next helmet I get might be open faced. I'll just practice my
facial expressions first.

ciao,
Katie K. (I feel like I haven't autocrossed in years!)