basic question on shocks

To: Autocross List <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: basic question on shocks
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:53:32 -0700
My aluminum beast has shocks that look they have adjustable
spring preload. The entire shock body is threaded like a giant
bolt, and the spring seats to a giant threaded "washer" on the
shock, which has another smaller threaded "lock washer" to hold
it into place. It looks like one could adjust the preload on the
spring by loosening the lock washer and tightening (or loosening)
the main washer, then lock it down to the new position by
tightening the lockwasher against it.

I've never seen this before on a shock. Is this a normal thing?
Is there a name for it? It says it has "coilover" shocks -- is
that what this is called? And how hard is it to adjust these
puppies -- do you have to remove the shocks? The rear ones look
like they'd be hard to access. Maybe if I just took the wheels
off I could reach them easily.

Thanks,

--
Michael R. Clements