Windshield film (was Re: Three runs in Round 6? )

To: "Phil Esra" <philesra@hotmail.com>
Subject: Windshield film (was Re: Three runs in Round 6? )
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:40:24 -0700
In message <20000530224819.75503.qmail@hotmail.com>, "Phil Esra" writes:

> ps oh, while I'm thinking about it--I've been getting this weird film on the
> inside of my windshield. I clean it off, and it gradually reappears. It's
> kind of oily. Its appearance seems to have coincided with using armor-all on
> the dash, but that was a long time ago now. Anyone have a theory? How do I
> make it go away for good? I cleaned the armor-all off the dash, but that
> didn't seem to help...

Yup, that's from the Armor-All. It's evil. I don't know of any
  application for which it is the proper solution. It's *certainly*
  wrong for tires, or anything else made of rubber. It contains
  petroleum distillates that attack rubber. The same goes for using it
  on vinyl. Oh, it makes rubber & vinyl look great today, but it does
  damage that shows up in the long term.

As for getting rid of the film, the only thing I can think of is to keep
  cleaning it off an eventually it should quit coming back. Parking in
  the sun with the windows up should probably make it happen quicker,
  and thus go away sooner.

The best thing I've found for tires & the vinyl on my Miata is 303
  Protectant. It's designed to block UV, and thus actually protect
  things. Also, 303 contains no petroleum distillates, so it won't
  do the damage that Armor-All will.

After I bought my Miata last June, I didn't drive my pickup for about 2
  months. The tires turned a dul grey and looked so bad I was afraid
  they'd start forming cracks soon. I used 303 on them and they looked
  like new. I still don't drive the truck much, but the tires looked
  great for a few months after the 303.

  Keith Hearn
  '99 Miata 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  B-Stock
  Milpitas, CA