Tire and driving suggestions for Oakland this weekend?

To: Bay area list <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tire and driving suggestions for Oakland this weekend?
From: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:23:51 -0700
I was about to go get my new set of Kuhmo's mounted, when I remembered
the venue for the next event.  I had a terrible time at Oakland
in round 2, and I'd like to avoid a repeat.

I drive a '99 Miata.  First of all, am I better off with the Kuhmo's
or with my regular tires, some worn RE-71's, or with my somewhat
crappy street tires, AVSi's?  I recall that Craig Boyles, one of
the faster Miata drivers, actually switched from his R tires back
to streets and picked up a few seconds.  I imagine I oughta be
asking Dennis Armstrong what he was using, since he won CS and
beat BS and nearly beat all of CSP!

Then, too, it seems like technique is pretty important.
At the event, Kevin Stevens watched me go sliding around, and
was kind enough to point out that I really needed to stick to the
inside to avoid the marbles.  That helped enormously.  Everybody
talked about being patient, and I'm still not clear on that.
Does it just mean waiting a long time to get on the throttle?
Not anticipating too much?  Turning in later or earlier?
I'm definitely confused.

Of course, since I'm in the first run group this time, perhaps it
just won't matter, and the course will be slippery everywhere.

Thanks,

Kevin
kml@patheticgeek.net

Green '99 Miata, B Stock #45