Re: NASA autox

To: kevin_stevens@Bigfoot.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net, miata@realbig.com
Subject: Re: NASA autox
From: Nandaholz@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 08:47:17 EDT
<<>Glad you enjoyed it so much Craig. Anyone else have and feedback, likes and
>dislikes about the course design after running it? There is always room for
>improvement.
>Thanks in advance.
>~Nanda (rookie course monkey with a crayon) and UFO CSP#4

<<Very creditable for a first effort and a marque-specific course.
---------Thanks
<<Pros:
90 degree start was well-designed
Initial straight/sweeper/lane change was great
"showcase" turn in front of the trailer

<<Increasing-speed slalom was unusual/fun
--------original plan was to have the slalom offset a bit which would have
slowed down the cars, but I thought it would have be a little to brutal,
considering the rest of the course ;)

----------I thought the 45° chamfered corner would allow enough acceleration
with managable drift

<<Cons:
The Chicago box was very tight, probably not SCCA legal.
   (note to readers: this wasn't an SCCA event and it wasn't
    required to be)

--------Yup, but I was trying to duplicate a section I drove in the Evolution
driving school, we had a C5 in our group and he handled the box ok, just don't
remember the exact size of the box. I have always luv'd chicago boxes, ever
since last years SFR school

<<Lots of people got lost there, as has been noted.
The crossover was impossibly, let-me-out-of-here-so-I-can-go-home
   tight.
-------we ran out of space and had to tighten the "coat hanger" by about twice
as much, had to stay two concrete pads away from the Hiller Helicopter pad

<<Lots of people took out the finish, which hurts trying to keep the
   event going.
KeS
-------original plan was to hook the end of the slalom 90° to the right and
cross thru the same start finish lights which would have made people consider
taking the last bit of the slalom a little easier in preparation for a clean
shot at the finish
Thanks for the feedback Kevin S. So you want tighter Chicago boxes, more coat
hanger/hammerheads and longer faster slaloms, got it :) ~Nanda CSP Miata #4