RE: Need Advice with DOT autocross tires

To: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>, <cobracrosser@jps.net>,
Subject: RE: Need Advice with DOT autocross tires
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:16:00 -0800
>The "bottom line, as the accountants say, is cost. The Kumho's are
>considerably less expensive than either the Hoosier's or BFG's. However,
>since Kumho is in the process of bringing out a "new" tire this year,
supply
>of available "old"  and "new" replacement tires may be tighter than in the
>past.
>
>For some of us the real BOTTOM LINE is which are faster. For that reason,
>we're going with Hoosier's along with a couple different rain sets on the
>side.
>
>        Don

I'd certainly recommend the Kumhos as a starting point, at least.  While
Hoosiers or G-Forces may be faster at their best, no one denies that Kumhos
wear better than either.  My point is that in OSP, particularly with a new
car, your standing may be already determined to the point that having the ne
plus ultra tire won't help or hurt.  The types of cars and preparation
levels we see in OSP vary widely, and you may as well see where you fit in -
if you're three seconds faster (or slower) than the class on Kumhos, why
invest in Hoosiers?

Now Don and Steve, they're running in a fairly tightly defined class (SS),
and lord knows they need every edge they can get!  ;)

KeS