Re: oh man this thing is beautiful - SCCA rules

To: Scot Zediker <mx5_1991@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: oh man this thing is beautiful - SCCA rules
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:22:10 -0800
In message <20000121193607.9469.qmail@web1102.mail.yahoo.com>, Scot Zediker wri
tes:
> > How about if the brace was installed but the
> > mounting bolts were removed from
> > the rear firewall that attach the back of the brace
> > for added stiffness? This
> > would make it essentially a regular brace with the
> > rear angled pieces not
> > functional during an autox and merely cosmetic. I
> > could then add the bolts
> > after the autox for the street and track events
> > where the extra stiffness
> > would be beneficial. Any thoughts, would this be
> > acceptable to the tech
> > inspectors.
>
> Now we're getting into a gray area!  While this would
> be technically in compliance, I don't think it would
> fly past the tech inspector.  If it were me, I'd just
> as soon not even worry about it and just get a tower
> brace that doesn't tie into the firewall.

Actually, thinking some more about it since my last post, I think if I
  was judging the protest, I'd have to rule against the brace. Even if
  you remove the bolts, it can still press against the firewall and
  provide some bracing. If it was hanging a half an inch from the
  firewall when unbolted it might go either way, but if it's touching
  the firewall, it's providing bracing, even without the bolts.

I don't know why strut braces that tie in other than just top-top or
  bottom-bottom of the suspension aren't alloed in SP, but those are
  the rules.

But they're only an issue if you get protested, which isn't likely to
  happen at a local event, unless you start showing up a lot and
  placing well.

BTW, NASA's NorCal autocross group uses the SCCA classifications, with
  the addition of Vintage Stock and Vintage Street Prepared for
  cars more than 25 years old. Protests are even less likely at NASA
  events.

  Keith Hearn
  '99 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  Milpitas, CA
  Team NASA NorCal AutoX Webmaster (http://www.geocities.com/nasa_autox)