Re: oh man this thing is beautiful - SCCA rules

To: Nandaholz@aol.com
Subject: Re: oh man this thing is beautiful - SCCA rules
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:54:19 -0800
In message <68.ee2672.25b9fa3a@aol.com>, Nandaholz@aol.com writes:
> http://home4.highway.ne.jp/okuyama/products/nb6,8-3.jpg
>
> << >--- Eric Moon <info@scca-susq.com> wrote:
>  >> Not familiar with NASA rules or classing.
>  >> SCCA rules allow for strut braces that transverse
>  >> the stut mounting points
>  >> ONLY.  In other words, the bracing may not extend
>  >> rearward or forward ---
>  >> to the firewall, etc....
>  >
>  >Unless of course this was a factory item, right?
>  > >>

> How about if the brace was installed but the mounting bolts were removed from
>
> the rear firewall that attach the back of the brace for added stiffness? This
>
> would make it essentially a regular brace with the rear angled pieces not
> functional during an autox and merely cosmetic. I could then add the bolts
> after the autox for the street and track events where the extra stiffness
> would be beneficial. Any thoughts, would this be acceptable to the tech
> inspectors.

Well, for stock classes, it's have to come with that nice strut
  brace from the factory, of course.

I just went out to my car and grabbed my 1999 Solo rulebook. I think the
  appropriate rule is in the Street Prepeared Bodywork section, 14.2.C:

  Strut bars are permitted with all types of suspension. Strut bars may
  be mounted only transversely across the car from upper right to upper
  left suspension mounting point and from lower right to lower left
  suspension mounting point, No other configuration is permitted.
  Additional holes may be drilled for mounting bolts. Only bolt-on
  attachment is permitted.

So how would this be interpreted? Well, the tech inspector shouldn't
  care. It's not his job to enforce classification. If I were tech
  inspecting, as long as it wasn't loose I'd ok it.

As far as your competitors go, I'd expect that if you tried the
  "remove the firewall bolts" tactic and placed well at a divisional
  or national event, you'd almost certainly get protested. Whther the
  protestr would be upheld is a judgement call. One could argue that
  it's an "other configuration" even if it's not bolted on as such. One
  could also argue that it functions as if it only connects the top
  suspension points.

Dunno. If you really care about whether or not you get protested, I
  think I wouldn't want to take the chance. But if you only do a few
  autocrosses per year and don't really care about point standings, it
  *is* an awfully pretty brace, and probably *very* functional.

Heck, it might be nice enough on the street and track to be worth
  the effort to swap it out completely before and after each
  autocross. It's what, about 8 or 10 bolts? Less work than swapping
  wheels. How much do they want for it?

Write to Mazda and convince them to put it on the 2001 Miata, and then
  you could certainly use it for Street Prepared. :)

  Keith Hearn
  '99 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  Milpitas, CA