Re: [evolution-disc.] Statement from the Ft. Myers National

To: "Mark Sirota" <mark@sirota.org>, <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Statement from the Ft. Myers National
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchelltx@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:59:29 -0600
Mark Sirota wrote:

> Or maybe another way to look at it -- how tight does a
> slalom need to be to be under 45 mph?

Byron and I both did that one yesterday. It depends on the
assumptions you make. With mine - 1.2g cornering capability,
6' wide, and just barely missing the cones - the spacing was
68'. If you make the car a foot narrower without changing
anything else, the spacing goes to just over 63 ft.

Sam Strano had observed earlier that he uses a maximum
spacing of 70' for slaloms. The math (and my experience as
well) tends to support that as a good number. On the other
side, I believe we all agree that the present minimum of 45'
is agonizing. I prefer spacings from just below 60' to ~70',
and I think you can keep speeds within the rules using that
range.

Jay