Course speeds - was Ft Myers protests

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Course speeds - was Ft Myers protests
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <pullg@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:35:10 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Salem" <ebsalem1@cox.net>

> Different cars have different abilities!

That's irrelevent to this issue, though.  The issue is:  what does the
insurance policy say?  I haven't looked at the SCCA's policy lately, but
I've been helping a non-SCCA club set up some basic safety guidelines, so
have looked at a number of different autocross policies (most issued by K&K)
in the last few days.  They all specify keeping maximum speeds below a
specified limit:  70 mph.  They all also specify minimum standoff distances
from obstacles and spectators.  No mention of what sort of car, what sort of
driver, surface conditions, phase of the moon, or anything else.

If we knowingly ignore those limits, we do so at our peril...not just for a
particular site, but for the sport as a whole.  All it takes is one incident
in which the policy issuer decides the event didn't comply with the terms of
the policy...not only no top cover for that event (a disaster in itself --
leaves the event officials and the site owner open to lawsuits), but also
makes getting insurance for future events more difficult, and gives
reluctant site owners yet another reason not to do business with us.
Lacking in dedicated sites, we exist at the whim of the site owners who host
us...and the insurance that makes them willing to do so.

There's even a solution within the SCCA for your desires:  the Solo Trials
rules, and the club infrastructure backing them, were set up specifically to
permit higher speed events.  Yes, they come with extra baggage as far as
site and vehicle saftey, driver experience, and so on...but none are
particularly difficult to live with.

Jamie (SSS when needed)
'01 Miata
Speed Demon Racing