Re: [evolution-disc.] event speed?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] event speed?
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchelltx@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:33:11 -0600
Reijo wrote:

<quoting me>
> > "2.1.A....... Speeds on straight stretches should not
> > normally exceed the low 60's (mph) for the fastest Stock
and
> > Street Prepared category cars."
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong but I read this to be somewhat
vague wording.

Did you read what I wrote after that? I'll quote:

"If an SS (or ASP, there's really not that much speed
differential these days) car is clocked at 83 mph, it is
clear that the intentional "wiggle room" in the above rule
has been completely used up (and then some) and that the
event is not legal."

The phrase "intentional wiggle room" is an acknowledgement
that the wording has been made vague on purpose. However, if
speeds generally are to be kept to the "low 60s (mph)," I
don't think a reasonalbe person would argue that "low 80s
(mph)" is anywhere close to compliance.

> Think there just has to be some flexibility me-thinks...

What makes you think there isn't already "some flexibility"
in the rules? If we relax them to read "low 70s," then won't
we then see folks arguing that "low 90s" is OK, since cars
are "so much better" now? In your opinion, at what point
does the sport cease to be "non-speed" competition?

Jay