RE: San Diego

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: San Diego
From: "Bruce Haden" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:12:22 -0800
BTW, on the "delays" part -- Randy Chase summarized it on the other
list, but
basically a huge turnout combined with weather like that and an early
sunset
(not that we saw the sun) make for a tough day.  Saturday went very
well, no
big delays other than the one during the last group.  We'll see if
there's any
hope of catching up during a hopefully dry Sunday.

Driving the 4th group in an open D-mod Super 7 on 10" slicks is not my
idea of a good time, but somehow we all managed to laugh it off and
enjoy it anyway. On my last run it was indeed monsoon conditions and
when I hit the brakes prior to the first right hand kink the nose dipped
into the water
and I was greeted by, literally, a wall-o-water coming over the nose of
the car and hitting me square in the chest and flooding the cockpit. The
open face helmet with a lexan shield made it interesting also, but at
least I didn't have helmet fogging problems. Sunday was actually very
nice; warm, dry, and sunny.

I did have one really big gripe/concern about Sunday; the finish line
area was MAJOR unsafe. It was full throttle for about 100 yards leading
to the lights, downhill, slightly off-camber, the run-off area was not
long enough
and there were spectators standing directly in the line of fire despite
efforts to chase them out. There were a lot of spins occurring well past
the lights, many of them  ending less than 50 feet from where people
were standing. I was almost one of them, but I had seen enough other
cars spin that I was prepared for the hairy finish and just managed to
keep it tidy.
If a local club did such a thing there would be a lot of discussion at
the next board meeting about why we let it happen. Someone at the
national level needs to ask the same question about the SD Tour. Other
than that; nice job under trying conditions.