Re: Are your events open to all who come and want to run

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Are your events open to all who come and want to run
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 00:04:34 EDT
In a message dated 9/25/02 9:11:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
free2000@quixnet.net writes:

> All that being said, we feel we are near the limit and it is a regular
> topic.  All sorts of ideas are thrown out including a 2 day event with 1/2
> the classes on Saturday and 1/2 on Sunday. We were overwhelmed at a recent
> night event that in the past only drew around 150 but this time drew 300,
> yet with everyone pulling together, we actually did it in the same amount
> of
> time as we did the previous 150 entry event.  Big events simply force
> greater efficiency, although it will get tougher as the amount of daylight
> lessens.

SFR averages around 200, but had 340 earlier this year.  We've discussed 2
day events, and think there would be real problems.  First, there's no
guarantee we could get a lot for both days of a weekend on a consistent
basis.  Burnout of Event Chairs and Reg & Tech workers would be twice as
fast.  How would you prevent the opportunistic among us from entering both
days?  Those are the ones that come to mind right now...

Since we have a site where we can't start until 10 AM, and aren't allowed to
use the PA system (this slows down worker changes, some), and since we know
that there have been days when over 400 people have been autocrossing at 3 or
4 events in Northern CA and fear that they will all show up at once, we felt
that allowing card carrying SCCA members only was our best solution, even if
it appears snobbish.

It certainly seems that we have fewer burnouts and other discipline problems
since all of our entrants are members...

Charlie Davis