Re: Are your events open to all who come and want to run

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Are your events open to all who come and want to run
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:05:13 -0700
And for the other regions, this is presently how San Diego does things:

>Do you just take everyone who shows up regardless of total turnout?

Yes, as long as they have a waiver signed, drivers license, money, and a
safe vehicle. Drivers have to buy an annual points card (or one for the day).

>Do you require SCCA Membership?

No. We do offer a discount for SCCA members.

>Do you cap entry levels?

No. Our local rules are such that we have to conclude our day by 6:00pm or
the lack of daylight. We also can't start cars on course before 9:00am.
With a lunch break, downtime between run groups (we have 7 groups), and the
occasional issue involving  a car or the timing lights, it's pretty easy to
have a problem finishing in time when we have over 250 drivers.

>Do you reduce or eliminate Novice classes?

We have a separate novice class where all novices run together (7th, end of
the day). This causes some problems with not enough loaner helmets and a
very long run group when we get over 70 novices. They are all scored on a
pax against each other for that one event.

>Do you reduce or eliminate Time Only Runs?

San Diego has an X class that allows one to run for time only. As such, you
are not running in a class. Your car does not have to meet class rules. You
can take passengers (we do not allow passengers in class runs). You can
have ridden along before your runs (not allowed if you run  in class). In
previous years, one could sign up for X and not run in class. The rule was
changed recently that you can run X only as a supplemental run group AFTER
you run in class.

We also have "fun runs" as many regions do. Typically this is a $1 per run
at the end of the day if time is available. Lately there has not been a lot
of opportunities for this.

Randy Chase
http://www.conecam.com/