RE: Towing enclosed trailer with mid-size SUV?

To: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Subject: RE: Towing enclosed trailer with mid-size SUV?
From: "Brian Porter" <brian@miatar.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:31:16 -0400
James,

Sounds like your getting close to max GCVW. As someone else mentioned, the
Explorer may not be "happy" doing this. Well, I'll add: BET your Explorer
will share all of it's pain with you, either immediately or eventually. ;)
If you tow often and/or far enough, you may want to consider something
larger. Of course, it'll all depend on your comfort level with your new
setup.

The Explorer is heavy enough and has ample power to pull this load. It's
sorta narrow (in tow vehicle context) and wheelbase is a bit short so I
wouldn't leave home without a sway-control and a weather report. Make sure
your brakes/shocks are always in good shape, synthetic oil.. yadda yadda..

I'd pay particular attention keeping ample tongue weight on the hitch. It's
a fairly fixed value (based on trailer weight) so jockeying stuff around
isn't gonna buy much (and can be *very* unsafe, or at minimum, *very*
uncomfortable). The factory rating of my old Toyota's rear springs was
grossly exaggerated at 5500lbs. I found that 4500lbs of trailer/cargo became
very uncomfortable at highway speeds (65-75). Best fix for this was a
Silverado. ;)

If the Explorer springs cannot handle the new tongue weight, add helper
springs. At about $75-$100 plus installation, it certainly beats buying a
new truck. (Truckin' TV had installed a set that were progressive and
claimed to not affect unloaded ride quality while adding 800-1000lbs
capacity. $75 IIRC) Just never exceed total GCVW on either truck/trailer
unless you want to get into a situation to both cause and be denied an
insurance claim. :)

A tranny cooler/temperature gauge would be a good idea if not already
equipped. The v-nose is another good idea to reduce drag. I assume you've
already got a brake controller. I'm not happy with inertia-based
controllers. The three I've had so far all required some manual intervention
between slow and highway speeds. This could be a safety issue (if you ever
forget to turn-up the output at speed) so I have to mention it. I'm gonna
trying a DSP-based? Drawtite 3 next, about $130.

I'm starting to think a good rule of thumb is to maintain 20% under GCVW. I
say 'starting' as I *may* drive a bit faster with a trailer than most. So, I
may have slightly skewed expectations. ;)

Hope this helps,

-Brian