Towing enclosed trailer with mid-size SUV?

To: wheeltowheel <wheeltowheel@wheeltowheel.com>,
Subject: Towing enclosed trailer with mid-size SUV?
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:17:55 -0400
My tow vehicle is a V8 AWD Ford Explorer.  I have used it to tow an old open
heavy steel car hauler with a 2500# car, 8 extra wheels/tires, tools, some
spares, canopy, wife, and dogs, and it has done just fine, even in the West
Virginia hills.  I am considering getting a small aluminum enclosed trailer,
about 18' inside length, and I was wondering if the Exploder could handle
it.  I figure the extra weight would be about 800#, which I don't think
would be a problem.  But besides weight there are other issues like wind
resistance and stability in cross winds and probably other things that I
haven't thought of.  Any opinions/experience on this?

Brad B.