Re: New CHP Camaros

To: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>, "Matt Murray"
Subject: Re: New CHP Camaros
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 23:32:45 -0500
> Yep, saw them on the local news. Plain white except for the logo on the
door
> and very low light bar.  I find it interesting that they want to make them
> less easy to spot.  You'd like to believe they want to just slow people
> down, which is best done by high visability.  This shows they are more
> interested in catching and punishing (read generating income).

If they were not just using radar for simple speeding, I'd be in favor of
it.  I mean, if sneaky cop cars were used to tag drivers doing dangerous
stuff like tailgating and weaving through traffic; and leave the clean and
careful speeders alone; I'd be thrilled.

The problem is that radar is so damned easy.  It causes police to
concentrate on speeding generally in situations where speeding is not
particularly dangerous, since radar works less well in heavy traffic and bad
weather.

If the politicians and the police had the will to do the job correctly for
the public safety, they'd toss all the radar guns away, get a hell of a lot
more unmarked cars and go after the dangerous types.  Don't hold your
breath.  It's too easy to sell the line that you will get the dangerous
types if you write speeding tickets.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org