Re: Was AS is soft

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Was AS is soft
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <pullg@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:38:49 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: David W. James <vnend@adelphia.net>

> Let's see, last year SS included my car (1999 BMW M-Coupe, 240HP),
> the Z06 (380HP, 415 if you got an early 2002), the Porsche Carrera 4
> (302HP, AWD).  Plus the BMW M5 (400HP, but a sedan) and lots of other
> cars that I don't know the specs on.   But you'll see there was a
> 160-175HP spread,  and both RWD and AWD were represented.  Unlike GS,
> Front-, Mid- and Rear-engined configurations are represented.  There
> aren't any FWD cars in this years SS or AS, and only the Audi TT
> (that I recognize) in BS.

OK...you got us on the mid-engined.  Unless they succumb to weak engine
mounts during a hard stop, though, GS Corvairs are still rear-engined. :)
I know, I know...who's seen a stock Corvair at an autocross lately....

> ...lets take a look at the results of the National
> Tour events so far in that class. [GS]

<snip>

> So in 5 events we've had 4 different makes and models win, 8
> different models (9 if the ACR is significantly different from the
> R/T) trophy,   3 individuals trophy twice, and have given out 22
> trophies.  I note that we haven't had any instances of co-drivers
> both trophying, so it is far more the drivers than the cars, as you
> would expect.  The Toyota Celica GT appears to have an edge, but I
> would say that the class is healthy, with a good mix of cars being
> competative.  Unlike some classes we could look at.

It's not so much whether there's more than one or two capable cars (a factor
with more than horsepower tied to it) -- it's the number of competitive cars
in class compared to the total pool.  SS, AS, CS and DS have less than a
dozen models each to fight it out, and a WAG says at least half of each
class is competitive regionally.  BS has 30-odd models; maybe 10-15% out on
the front end.  Same proportion for ES and its 20-odd cars.  80+ models in
GS...maybe 10% capable of mixing it up in front, which is pretty good,
considering.  Well over 100 (!) models in HS, of which four or five shine.
For good or ill, the list of cars -- even enthusiast cars -- where the
driver's 80% contribution needs to be a bit higher is simply silly in GS and
HS now (especially HS).  Unfortunately, it's impossible to spread a couple
hundred models over 9 classes so that they're *all* competitive, but it's
not hard to understand the opinion the lastest scrub was done at the expense
of the "bottom" classes.  Maybe we just need to work out a couple of
catch-alls for cars no one takes seriously any more and stop worrying about
them -- that, at least, isn't trying to fool ourselves.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (well-placed in GS -- glad I'm not driving a Saturn, Tiburon,
240SX....)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr