Re: Nationals Paddock Police are here to serve you again.

To: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Subject: Re: Nationals Paddock Police are here to serve you again.
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:20:07 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Linnhoff, Eric wrote:
> Anyone who attended last year's Nats may remember the teething pains that
> the new Paddock Patrol and parking policies imparted upon us.  Of course
> after Tuesday 9/11 all plans went out the window but folks still worked
> together under the even tighter restrictions.
>
> We of the Paddock Patrol would like to serve you, our fellow racers, better.
> Do you have any suggestions to help improve the process while making it fair
> for all and still keeping in mind those that won't be arriving until
> mid-week?

First, thanks for the effort on this.  It's really appreciated.

> I can tell you a few of the suggested ideas which include widening the rows
> from 12' to 14', numbering the rows and spots with a 101, 102, 103, 201,
> 202, 203, 301, 302, etc, system for better ease of tracking and insuring
> reservations.  (No chalk this year, waterproof paint!)  Computer database to
> search for open spots and friend's paddock spots.  Only allowed to save 3
> additional spaces, not 5 like last year.

All of that, with the possible exception of the last one, sound great!

> Let's hear 'em.  Constructive suggestions only please, we're fully aware of
> where we can stick our steenkin' badges.  ;^)

I'd love to see a pre-registration system to assign paddock spaces.
Probably via the web and by phone/fax, with the current status on the web.
If you were able to do this, you could cut back pretty dramatically on the
number of spots someone could reserve.  Otherwise I think you need to keep
the "5 additional spaces" rule to account for friends holding spots for
late arrivals.

Mark