Re: Is A-stock soft?

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Is A-stock soft?
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:58:12 -0400
The A-stock issue is a tough one.  The latest Fastrack asks for input on how
to fix it.  It gives the options of moving some SS cars down to AS or moving
some BS cars up to AS, or both.

I think that moving the RX7TT down to AS would make it the dominant car in
the class, just like it was in the old RX7TT/C4 Corvette SS.  Would it be
better to have a spec RX7TT class or a spec C4 class?  The C4 Corvettes are
more available, so maybe a C4 Corvette class is better.  However, the C4
Corvette owners haven't shown up in large numbers, so perhaps a spec C4
class isn't such a good idea either.

To me, the data from this year's Pro and Tour events show that the S2000 is
an overdog in BS.  There have also been some AS drivers who have said that
they don't want the S2000 bumped up to AS.  If the AS folks are afraid of
the S2000, then that's another indication that it is too fast for BS.  I
think that the Boxster is also too fast for BS, and that moving the S2000
and Boxster to AS would improve participation and competition in both the AS
and BS classes.  It would provide an interesting AS class with C4 Corvettes,
S2000s, Boxsters, 911s, and BMWs competing closely for the top spots, maybe
even the SupraTT and NSX.  And BS might become a diverse class of MR2Ts,
944S2s, 968s, 911s, and M3s.

These are my thoughts and I plan to write a letter.  Whether you agree or
disagree, you should write a letter too.

Brad B.
'97 M3, B-stock